*This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free)*
*You can easily cut this recipe in half and it will still yield several servings.*
*This is what I make for my Thanksgiving stuffing.*
Gluten Free Stuffing/Dressing
©Jessica Caracciolo 2013
- 1 loaf gluten free brown rice bread thawed and toasted
- 5 gluten free English muffins separated, thawed and toasted (or 4 bagels, sliced, cubed and toasted)
- 3 bags brown rice (quick cooked, already cooked)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 c celery, diced
- 4 c onion, diced
- 4 c mushrooms diced
- 20 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 1/2 c chopped flat leaf parsley
- 6 c vegetable stock
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz melted dairy free butter (we use Smart Balance® Light)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Pre-heat oven 375 degrees, dice all vegetables, etc.
- Pull apart thawed toasted bread and English muffins (pieces don’t have to be even- about 1 inch by 1 inch) Pre-make rice and quinoa. Quinoa should be thoroughly washed and then cooked in 2 cups vegetable stock for 1 cup dry quinoa.
- After grains are cooked, and bread/English muffins are toasted and pulled apart, put them all into a large bowl together.
- In a separate small bowl combine mushrooms, parsley, thyme, and diced vegetables.
- In a skillet, pour 2-6 oz extra virgin olive oil (or you can use more butter substitute instead), 4 cups yellow onions- until par-cooked, then add 4 cups celery, cook until both are well cooked through. Season to taste.
- Melt 8 oz of dairy free butter. Combine all ingredients together in the large bowl. (Grains, breads, vegetables, mushrooms, spices, onions/celery, melted butter, etc.) Then start slowly adding in vegetable stock, giving time for the bread and grains to take in the vegetable stock until it soaks up all of the vegetable stock. Mix thoroughly.
- Spray a pan with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into large roasting pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then uncover and broil until the top is completely browned and crisped. Take it out, let it cool slightly, store or serve.
If you have any questions please contact me. I know what it is like to be free of many allergens and how hard it can be baking and cooking this way. I am happy to help you if I can.