I am engaged to my fiance. We have been together for over 10 years.
One of the biggest things I learned from him is that everyone is different – in a good way. Prior to dating him, I dated someone who was a very angry person. He would put his fist through walls, yell at me for no reason, and everything, even small things would anger him and he would take it out on me. He made me very anxious and I feared him. It took me 2 years to leave the relationship because I had low self-esteem and thought I had to settle. I thought he was the best I could get. But then I decided to dump him (he was even more angry about that.) And after that a friend of mine told me to stop looking for a relationship, to focus on my life and building the life I want. Then, when the timing is right, love will find me. I listened. I went on to graduate college early, got a job about 3 months later, and met my now-fiance where I worked. He is the polar opposite of the other guy I dated. My fiance is the nicest person you will ever meet. He is kind, caring, patient, loving and a total 180. I thought after dating the angry person, that everyone would have that quality underlyingly but I was wrong. My fiance taught me there are nice awesome people out there and that we don’t have to worry about the past in the present.
Other things he has taught me:
- Video games are fun. We play Resident Evil 5 together on the Xbox and we have beaten the game together. We recently restarted it from the beginning.
- It is fun to exercise at the gym, take walks, and do yoga and other activities together. Walking and talking is really awesome. It is a great stress reliever.
- Laughing is awesome. We both make each other laugh.
- Talking and communication is always #1. Even after 10 years of being together we still talk for hours on end.
- Being open and honest always. I used to fear speaking my mind because of the past relationship but I learned quickly that I can speak my mind with him.
- I am safe with him. He loves and protects me and I do not fear him. I love him. 🙂
There is more but these are my top ones.